Water Treatment Frequently Asked Questions

There are a number of contaminants that are frequently found in water in Nevada and California. Some of these water contaminants include:

  • Arsenic
  • Iron
  • Lead
  • Nitrates
  • Perflourooctane Sulfonate (PFOS)
  • Perflourooctanoic Acid (PFOA)
  • Sulfer
  • Total Dissolved Solids (TDS)

Reverse osmosis removes foreign contaminants, large molecules, minerals, and solid substances through pressure forcing water through a semi-permeable membrane. 99% of the contaminants are removed through the reverse osmosis process leaving you and your family with pure clean water. 

A Culligan reverse osmosis drinking water system uses pre-filtering to catch sediment & mineral deposits, then pushes the water through the membrane. Contaminants are drained out and treated water is stored in a small tank until used.

Culligan Reverse Osmosis drinking water systems utilize multiple processes to filter your water. Reverse Osmosis is the process used by most bottled water companies to purify water. This means that your Reverse Osmosis drinking water system from Culligan will provide you with the same quality water that you are used to getting when you buy bottled water.

Water softeners work using an ion exchange resin to remove hard water minerals like calcium and magnesium. The hard water enters the tank and become trapped and exchanged for sodium ions.

Some symptoms of hard water include:

  1. Soap scum build up
  2. Stiff clothing
  3. Dry or irritated skin
  4. Dull hair after showering
  5. Mineral build up on shower head and faucets
  6. Shortened water appliance life due to hard water deposit build up

It is not recommended to use softened water for lawns or gardens. In addition to the possibility of retarding grass growth, it is wasteful to use softened water for outside watering.

The great news is that with Culligan Connect you can bypass the water softener using your device when you plan to water the lawn, plants, or even before washing your car.

Each year the Truckee Meadows Water Authority (TMWA) is required by the EPA to release a Water Quality Report. This includes Reno, Sparks, and Washoe County and can easily be found by visiting

. Reports are available for the Primary TMWA service territory, Lightning W, Old Washoe, Stampmill, Sunrise Estates, and West Reno. You can also enter your address to look up your water system.